There was a fun column in the University of Arizona student newspaper last Friday about homoeroticism in sports.

All-male sports teams create a unique fraternal bond between participants. These types of bonds create the strongest friendships. Combine that fraternal bond with constant body contact and huddles so close that you could kiss your teammates if you weren't wearing a helmet, and the underlying sexual tension is undeniable.

The author makes the argument that, because of all the homoeroticism in sports, the UofA athletic department should be making greater strides to defeat homophobia.

All-male sports teams create a unique fraternal bond between participants. These types of bonds create the strongest friendships. Combine that fraternal bond with constant body contact and huddles so close that you could kiss your teammates if you weren’t wearing a helmet, and the underlying sexual tension is undeniable.

Homophobic attitudes seem to be at the heart of sports, a concept that is hypocritical because they exhibit such homoerotic behaviors. In the same way that tantric sex focuses the orgasm inside the body, we should refocus our sports enthusiasm to promote LGBTQ rights; especially since it’s only a small step from the homoerotic behaviors on the playing field and the people who engage in these behaviors as a way of life.

Unfortunately, it’s likely in part because of that homoerotic behavior that more sports entities don’t try to make sports more open to gay participants; It’s OK if a straight teammate pats your butt, but if an openly gay teammate does, that’s trouble.

Hat tip to Gay.com

Don't forget to share: